There is hardly a word that we bodybuilders makes even crazier than this TESTOSTERONE
Testosterone is the anabolic hormone that is responsible for our muscles and makes us men to men. Like every sex comes testosterone in men and women before, but of course, in different proportions. When a man's testosterone is produced for the most part under the influence of LH (luteinizing hormone) in the Leydig cells in the testes. Although in smaller quantities form the adrenal cortex other androgens, but only to a minor degree testosterone. For women, testosterone is produced in the ovaries and the adrenal cortex in small amounts.
Testosterone tasks and function
Testosterone has different functions in our body. Testosterone is responsible for the typical male appearance, the formation of the male sex organs like testicles and penis and sperm production.
Outside of the sex organs promotes testosterone, growth of body hair and the beard. In addition, testosterone increases the cartilage and bone formation. A high testosterone levels promotes the increase in libido (sexual desire) and generally a motivation and zest for life, as well as dominant and aggressive behavior. By testosterone, there is a proliferation of red blood cells.
The testosterone levels in the blood serum of a healthy man is subject to daily fluctuations, the value in the early morning passes through a maximum and a minimum in the afternoon. Who does not know the good old morning latte. The starting material for the formation vonTestosteron in the Leydig cells is the way cholesterol (cholesterol) what how important fat in the diet significantly power and should not be completely eliminated from the diet.
Some bodybuilders and endurance athletes use testosterone or anabolic steroids as doping agents to enhance muscle growth or the natural limits. Commonly used are synthetic testosterone in the form of short chain such as testosterone propionate, medium (also known as testosterone enanthate / cypionate) and long chain esters (undecanoate). With a supply of outside as is customary with a Steroidkur, the ability of the body itself to produce testosterone, temporarily or even permanently impaired. Furthermore, the following side effects may occur.
Testosterone side effects
The possible side effects of testosterone, especially in a synthetic delivery of testosterone may be:
- Increase in cholesterol levels
- Hepatic and renal tumor formation
- Disorder of lipid metabolism, blood clotting and vascular system
- Deposits on the vessel walls
- Damage to the cardiovascular system
- Blood clots in the brain / stroke
- risk of thrombosis
- Enlargement of the sebaceous glands of the skin
- Increase of subcutaneous fat and water retention in the tissue by aromatisation
- Damage to the heart
- Gynecomastia (swelling of the mammary glands in males)
- Coarsening of facial features
- Accelerated skeletal maturity
- Change of thyroid function
- Training of normal acne and the so-called steroid acne
- Change in hair distribution (z. B. head hair loss and propagation of the Body)
- Negative memory and ability to concentrate
- Mental disorders (such as depression, mood swings)
- Decrease in testicle size and sperm count (not always reversible)
Since nowadays also occurs in women bodybuilding quite, we want to again briefly to the side effects of testosterone in women
- Masculinization (voice, musculature, facial features, hair)
- cause enlargement of the clitoris, which often no longer completely regresses after discontinuation